Sunday, September 7, 2008

Planning my dinner menu....

Cooking a balanced meal for the family can be quite a challenging task, especially when the three growing children all have different preferences.

I have devised a way to plan my dinner menu daily since it is the one meal of the day that brings the family together. My weekend marketing is sorted into three categories in a record book. They are meat (fish, pork, prawn and chicken), soup (lotus root, corn, spinach, etc) and vegetable (cauliflower, long beans, tofu, etc). This provides the basis for my whole week’s menu. Each morning or the night before, I will review what is available to decide on the dishes for the evening meal.

Basically, dinner consists of a meat/fish, a soup and a vegetable dish. There again, this has to be balanced, tasty and nutritious, otherwise I will have a lot of leftovers. Generally, if I use leafy vegetables as a soup ingredient, my vegetable dish will not be leafy based. For example, dinner menu for today is spinach soup (leafy), fried tofu with mushroom and steamed white pomfret.

No comments: