Sunday, February 15, 2009

Steamed Okra

The okra is very nutritional as it is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium but has a host of vitamins and minerals such as A, Thiamin, B6, C, folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, zinc. It's also an excellent laxative as it is high in dietary fiber. It is one of my favorite vegetables, cooked whatever way.


Today there are only three of us at home for dinner and since my daughter is now on a rice-less and lesser meat diet, I decided to cook more vegetables to satisfy her whims. Rumaging through the fridge, I discovered the packet of okra or ladies fingers bought two weeks ago well preserved in my ever reliable aluminium-coated Tesco bag. They are still so fresh!


To make life simple and easy, I just steam the okra to retain their flavor. Do not cut the okra so as not to release the sticky substance. Eat whole. They are very crunchy and delicious!

Steamed Okra



300 gm okra
onion oil, pepper, soy sauce

  1. Clean the okra and place on serving plate.
  2. Steam over boiling water in wok for 5 minutes.
  3. Remove and sprinkle onion oil, pepper and soy sauce.
  4. Serve hot.

No comments: