Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Teocheow style Steamed Fish

"Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I eat for a lifetime." - Robert Louis Stevenson. Unfortunately I do not fish myself but I buy the fish from the market! We have fish on the dining table at least three times a week.

There are many ways of cooking fish. I always prefer to steam it as steaming brings out the freshness in the fish. However, not all kinds of fish can be used for steaming. White pomfret, sea bass or siakap and treadfin or ma yau are excellent candidates for steaming.

Teocheow style Steamed Fish


1 piece white pomfret
1 tabsp. shredded ginger
50 gm salted mustard greens, soaked, squeezed and shredded
2 black mushrooms, soaked and sliced
1 piece white soft tofu, cut into 6-8 pieces
1 tomato, cut into wedges
2 sprig spring onions, cut to 1 inch length
1 piece red chilli, sliced
2 pieces pickled sour plum, slightly mashed
Sesame oil, onion oil, pepper, soya sauce, salt, sugar

  1. Make two slits on each side of the fish. Rub lightly with salt.
  2. Sprinkle some sugar on the mustard green and mushroom separately.
  3. Place fish on serving plate.
  4. Arrange the mustard green, mushroom, tofu, tomato, sour plum and ginger on and around the fish.
  5. Add a few drops of sesame oil, onion oil, soya sauce and pepper on top.
  6. Place plate onto steaming tray and cook with the rice in the rice cooker. (Otherwise, steam over rapidly boiling water for about 15 minutes)
  7. Garnish with chilli and spring onions just before serving.

No comments: