Sunday, February 22, 2009

ABC Soup

This is undoubtedly my children's favorite soup since they were toddlers. After drinking the soup, they would mash up the soft potatoes and season them with soy sauce. I prefer the carrots anytime. Sometimes I wonder why it's called ABC Soup, probably because it's as easy to make as ABC!


When I make this soup, I normally add in a small piece of char choy (榨菜) to mitigate the wind from the potato. (This advice was given by a Chinese acupuncturist long time ago) Otherwise I tend to get backaches after taking this soup.



ABC Soup


6 potatoes
3 carrots
2 tomatoes
2 onions
200 gm chicken bones
100 gm chicken fillet
1/2 pc char choy, preserved Szechuan vegetable
3 liters water
salt, pepper

  1. Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots to smaller sizes.
  2. Quarter the tomatoes and onions.
  3. Put all the ingredients into the pressure cooker with 1/2 tsp salt.
  4. Boil over high heat till the second red indicator ring is visible.
  5. Switch to very low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove from fire.
  7. Serve hot with a dash of pepper.

No comments: