Saturday, September 13, 2008

Steaming made easy

Steaming is an ideal and healthy way to cook food. Minimal fat is used while the food retains its nutrients and natural flavours as well as appears fresh and moist.

I normally use a wok for steaming food. The wok is filled with about half boiling water and the food dish placed on a stainless steel rack in the middle of the wok and then covered with the wok lid. High heat is used to steam the food and the time to cook depends on the recipe.

I discovered an easy way to steam my fish when my old faithful Sanyo rice cooker gave up on me recently. After much scouting around, I found a Panasonic model that comes with dual functions of either cooking rice or porridge. I have yet to do porridge as my pressure cooker does wonders for that.

The one feature I like about this rice cooker is its steamer tray. Now, whenever I want to steam any food, especially fish, I just get all the ingredients prepared on my serving plate and place it on the steamer to cook with the rice together. When the rice is ready, so is my fish. It is very practical and time saving.

No comments: